Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI on the Sex Abuse Crisis

Sandy Rios writes the following on TownHall.com:
When [Benedict XVI] said he was ashamed of the existence of pedophile priests and their subsequent abuse of young boys, unlike the scoffers, I believe him....The church, however slow, has made attempts to purge themselves of this sexual deviance with one notable—and perhaps fatal—flaw. “We will rid the church of pedophile priests,” said Pope Benedict on his flight to America. That’s good news except for one thing: the root problem among the priests was homosexuality, not pedophilia.
Of course, she's 100% right on the money with regard to the root of the sex abuse crisis. However, she's wrong when she assumes that Benedict hasn't addressed the homosexual priest issue. In fact, it was one of the very first things that he did upon being elected Pope.

The link below goes to the text of the 2005 instruction forbidding homosexuals from entering the priesthood.

On Priesthood and Those With Homosexual Tendencies

This document says the following:
In the light of such teaching [quotes from the Catechism of the Catholic Church on homosexuality and the need to respect individuals with homosexual attractions while condemning homosexual acts], this dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question, cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practice homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called "gay culture."(10)

Such persons, in fact, find themselves in a situation that gravely hinders them from relating correctly to men and women. One must in no way overlook the negative consequences that can derive from the ordination of persons with deep-seated homosexual tendencies.
By doing this, Benedict XVI was reinforcing a directive that the Vatican had issued in 1961 saying basically the same thing.

The big problem we face in this country is with the homo-friendly bishops who have historically refused to obey this order--with horrendous consequences.

And the truly amazing thing is that a huge number of politically well-connected people are trying to force the Boy Scouts to make exactly the same mistake that the American bishops made by giving people with disordered sexual attractions easy access to young people.

The Pope can only do so much. In the end, it's our local leaders who are to blame for this hideous scandal--and we ourselves for not demanding that they follow the guidelines clearly set out by the Vatican.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not a homosexual "problem."

Signed, survivor of heterosexual priest abuse

the mysterious said...

"This is not a homosexual 'problem'".

Care to expand on that? Also, homosexuals are at risk for pedophilia.

Florentius said...

Dear Anonymous,

No excuse can be made for sex abuse of any kind. Period.

That said, according to the Jay Report, nearly 90% of the cases were homosexual in nature. Your case fell into the remaining 10%. If we removed 90% of the sex abuse cases and were left with the 10% that were heterosexual in nature, there is no crisis. Only random, though atrocious, acts of sinful men.

I will pray for you that you may find the healing you need and that your abuser may sincerely repent of his evil.