Monday, March 24, 2008

One of the bravest public acts

Western politicians, Church leaders, and all of us could learn a thing or two from Magdi Allam, a high-profile Italian Muslim. Mr. Allam did one of the most courageous things I have ever seen on the Easter Vigil at St. Peter's Basilica. He was baptized into the Catholic Church--publicly--by the Pope. Then, he offered a mild criticism of the Church, saying that up to now, the Church has been "too prudent" when it comes to converting Muslims.

Wow.

In an article from the Catholic News Agency, Allam clearly recognizes the dangers inherent in what he has done. Writing to the editor-in-chief of an Italian newspaper, Allam said: "You have asked me if I fear for my life. You are right. I realize what I am going up against, but I will confront my fate with my head high, with my back straight and the interior strength of one who is certain about his faith."

Wow again.

Allam also indicates that there are thousands of Muslims who have secretly converted to Catholicism who live in hiding and fear, for in Islam, the punishment for apostasy is death. May God bless and protect all these brave souls whose sheer courage can be a great example to us comfortable Catholics in the West

No comments: