|Pope Francis pulls no punches on the subject of abortion.|
It can not be denied that the Catholic and secular left love Pope Francis more than any other pope in recent history. For those currently having meltdowns over the possibility that one of the most egregiously awful Supreme Court rulings in American history (Roe v. Wade) may soon be overturned (God willing!), it is perhaps well to reflect on what the Holy Father has had to say about the topic of abortion over the years.
Though it is perhaps not a topic he relishes teaching about, on those occasions when Pope Francis has spoken out against abortion, he does not mince words. Not at all.
Here is a list of his statements against abortion from the beginning of his papacy through very recent days:
- “Abortion compounds the grief of many women who now carry with them deep physical and spiritual wounds after succumbing to the pressures of a secular culture which devalues God’s gift of sexuality and the right to life of the unborn.” April 26, 2014
- “Abortion is not a “lesser evil”. It is a crime. It is wiping out one to save another. That is what the mafia does. It is a crime, it is absolutely evil.” February 17, 2016
- “Before, it was a sin, you couldn’t kill little children, but today you can, it’s not seen as a big deal. It is a perverse new state of affairs.” November 22, 2017
- “Abortion is never the answer. Human life is sacred and inviolable and the use of prenatal diagnosis for selective purposes must be strongly discouraged, because it is the expression of an inhuman eugenic mentality, which deprives families of the possibility of welcoming, embracing and loving their weakest children.” May 25, 2019
- "The second problem, that of abortion: it's more than a problem, it's homicide, whoever has an abortion, kills. No mincing words. Take any book on embryology for medical students. The third week after conception, all the organs are already there, even the DNA... it is a human life, this human life must be respected, this principle is so clear! To those who cannot understand, I would ask this question: Is it right to kill a human life to solve a problem? Is it right to hire a hitman to kill a human life? Scientifically, it is a human life. Is it right to take it out to solve a problem? That is why the Church is so harsh on this issue, because if it accepts this, it is as if it accepts daily murder. A Head of State told me that the demographic decline began because in those years there was such a strong law on abortion that six million abortions were performed and this left a decline in births in the society of that country.” September 15, 2021
- “There is the discarding of children that we do not want to welcome with the law of abortion that sends them to the dispatcher and kills them directly. And today this has become a ‘normal’ method, a practice that is very ugly. It is really murder. Is it right to eliminate, to take a human life to solve a problem? Is it right to hire a hitman to solve a problem? That’s what abortion is.” September 27, 2021